Adapting Real Estate to the Pandemic of Covid-19
Covid-19 has had a significant impact on our lives these past weeks. In British Columbia we have been very fortunate in that we have managed to flatten the curve through Social Distancing, Quarantine & Safety Protocols. All of us are having to adapt to the changes both personally and professionally. These changes can feel overwhelming, stressful, lonely and scary as we are navigating uncharted waters in this state of Emergency. The Canadian Government has deemed Real estate an "essential service" and has set protocols to ensure the safety of the public and the spread of the virus.
In adapting to these changing times and to accommodate my valued Clients wishing to list or purchase real estate in the Comox Valley I have implemented additional services. I encourage you to contact me to discuss your particular situation so that we may derive a plan to accommodate your specific needs.
What you can expect in Listing Your Home:
1. Schedule a virtual consult with me to discuss your current situation and goals.Through the use of Zoom or Facetime we can safely meet to review the current market conditions, the advantages to listing now or waiting, understanding your level of comfort to having qualified buyers view your home once they have reviewed the floorplan, photographs, virtual tour and listing documents. Reviewing the most current safety protocols to protect you and your family, buyers and Realtors. If you decide at that point you would like to proceed with a Market Evaluation to determine pricing we will schedule a second consult.
2. Comparative Market Analysis whereby I will be gathering as much information on your property in advance of having to view it. Depending on your comfort level I can walk through respecting social distancing, wearing gloves and proper sanitizing. The walk through will allow me to provide the most accurate assessment of market value along with suggestions you may wish to consider to increase salability and market value. I will provide you with a full report outlining your property features, potential negative selling features and how we might address them, comparable sales, current inventory and a review of current market conditions. I will email you this report once viewing your home. If you decide at that time you wish to proceed with listing I will review my comprehensive marketing program that will provide maximum exposure and showcase your property in the best light to maximize your profit.
3. Listing Contract- the listing contract can be e-mailed to you through a program called Authentisign whereby you can sign all documents electronically. It is easy and can be done on your laptop or even your phone.
4. Marketing for all it is worth. We can discuss in further detail but rest assured that I am continuing to hire a Professional who is able to take Photos, create floor plans and to create a virtual tour- using IGUIDE. I will be there to prepare your property so that there is minimal contact and to wipe down anything touched once finished. All aspects of Marketing are top notch and your safety and mine of key concern. Open Houses are no longer allowed however there is the option available for me to host a VIRTUAL OPEN HOUSE. This will allow for further market exposure while only exposing your home to me doing a walk through safely.
5. Viewings are now handled very differently. Some Buyers are not wanting to view in person and will rely upon the marketing material, others will wish their Realtor to walk through on their behalf while utilizing facetime to "virtually" walk through the property. Before any Realtor or Buyer is present in your home I will review a questionnaire with them to ensure they are pre-qualified, have not been out of Province in the last 14 days and are not having any symptoms. Once confirming the viewing appointment with you I will ask that you have all lights turned on, all interior doors and blinds open. I will open the house to provide access and to request that no one touch anything. Buyers must stay with their Realtor, no kids and respect Social Distancing. Once the viewing is complete I will wipe down the door knobs, turn off the lights and sanitize the light switches.
6. Feedback from showings and handling offers... Feedback will be provided as usual in the form of text, e-mail and call. Offers will be submitted electronically by the Selling Realtor to me and I will be forwarding to you for review. We will be discussing the merits of the offer over the phone and the paperwork can be signed electronically.
6. Due Diligence. Once an offer is in place a Building inspection may be a term of the offer. Inspectors are following safety precautions and following protocol. Buyers and Sellers are not allowed to be present for any part of the inspection. Reports will be emailed to the Buyers for review.
7. Completion- all documents will be sent electronically to your chosen Notary or Lawyer. Recent policy changes now allow for electronic signing of documents while using video conferencing.
8. Move Out Day- a term of the contract may be that the home is professionally cleaned. I am happy to provide some contacts for you. A buyer will want to feel assured that the home is safe for them to move in and to obtain the keys.
We are receiving new information daily and some of the above may change. I will be certain to inform you of any changes. I look forward to hearing from you. Feel free to call me on my cel at 250-897-2032 or send me an e-mail to Philippa@PhilippaBerg.ca