Adapting Real Estate to the Pandemic of Covid-19
Covid-19 has had a significant impact on our lives these past weeks. In British Columbia we have been very fortunate in that we have managed to flatten the curve through Social Distancing, Quarantine & Safety Protocols. All of us are having to adapt to the changes both personally and professionally. These changes can feel overwhelming, stressful, lonely and scary as we are navigating uncharted waters in this state of Emergency. The Canadian Government has deemed Real estate an "essential service" and has set protocols to ensure the safety of the public and the spread of the virus. In adapting to these changing times and to accommodate my valued Clients wishing to list or purchase real estate in the Comox Valley I have implemented additional services. I encourage you to contact me to discuss your particular situation so that we may derive a plan to accommodate your specific needs.
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT IN BUYING A HOME
Our first step will be to schedule an initial consult with me over the phone or virtually so we can meet face to face. The purpose of this consult will be for me to understand your specific needs pertaining to time frame, price point, location and property features on your list. I will update you on the current market conditions and what you can expect as far as new policies in place as a Home Buyer.
New Policies for Home Buyers;
1. Ensuring you are pre-qualified to purchase through your lender or Mortgage Broker. Confirmation of this prior to viewings will be expected by myself and Selling Realtors. I am happy to provide you with reputable contacts.
2. Full review of marketing material of a property - to include floor plans, photographs, virtual tours, surveys and any other pertinent information prior to any viewings either done by myself or with you if the Seller agrees. If you are satisfied with the floor plan and feel the photos and virtual tour showcase a property you would consider writing an offer on we will take the next steps...
3. Disclosure by you saying that you have not been out of Province for the last 14 days and do not have any symptoms. Some Sellers will request this in writing prior to a viewing. I will be asking this of the Seller as well should the property not be vacant.
4. Schedule a viewing myself in which I take you on a live virtual tour of the property while you remain in the safety of your own home. This will give you the option to stay home and ask questions... Alternatively, if you are comfortable viewing a property in person and the Seller agrees we can walk through together. Please note that you will be required to meet me at the property and social distancing will be respected. No kids please. I will have hand sanitizer for you and I will be the only one to touch any surfaces. Once we are finished I will then wipe down any surfaces I have touched and be sure to follow any special Seller requests.
5. Offer time- we will be meeting virtually to discuss the details of an offer. I will then be preparing the contract for you to sign electronically through Authentisign. You can legally sign documents easily from your computer or phone. The offer will then be emailed to the listing Realtor to present virtually to the Seller. All negotiations will be done electronically for everyone’s protection.
7. Deposit will now be handled through e-transfer.
8. Due Diligence.
Building Inspectors that have chosen to continue working will be conducting inspections following safety protocol. NO Buyers or Sellers are allowed to be present. Your inspection report will be e-mailed to you for your review and followed up with a phone call to answer your questions.
Property Appraisals- Your lender may likely require an appraisal of the property. Depending upon the Appraiser it may be conducted as a drive by and review of the marketing material and market information.
Mortgage Broker/ Lender- In person meetings have been replaced with phone calls and virtual meetings with electronic signing of documents.
Notary or Lawyer- New regulations have allowed for documents to be signed electronically via video conferencing.
Move In- I will have encouraged that we include in the contract that the Seller have the home professionally cleaned. This will help to minimize exposure. I will have your keys wiped down and provide to you while respecting social distancing. Once COVID-19 is further behind us we will get together to celebrate.
We are receiving new information daily and some of the above may change. I will be certain to inform you of any changes. I look forward to hearing from you. Feel free to call me on my cel at 250-897-2032 or send me an e-mail to Philippa@PhilippaBerg.ca